Who studies African drumming? Everyone!
ThisWorldMusic offers fun, high quality private instruction in African drumming to groups and individuals of all ages and ability levels in the Greater Boston Area and Western Massachusetts. Study with TWM Founder/Director Jeremy Cohen, a university level instructor who has traveled and studied extensively in West Africa, and has experience working with students at every level, from early elementary to adult learners.
African drumming is unique in that, unlike other similarly complex art forms, it offers a low point of entry for beginners, while being extremely challenging at intermediate and advanced levels.
“Jeremy Cohen’s innate gift for teaching enables him to connect with ease, both with children and adults, and makes it possible for him to work with the individual needs of students.”
-Diane Michalowski Friedland, Young Audiences of Massachusetts
So, who studies African drumming?:
- Adult learners: Always dreamed of playing an instrument, but thought it was “too late?” It’s not!
- Music lovers: Tap your inherent love for music and rhythm — music reading NOT required
- Professional musicians: Great for serious students or professional musicians looking to improve their time, including greater comfort with polyrhythms, syncopation, and off-beat timing
- Special needs students: drumming offers a fun, dynamic way to help facilitate communication and self-expression, including for students on the autism spectrum
- Multi/Interculturalists: people interested in broadening their cultural horizons through hands-on practice
For more info, contact us.