Take Students on an Intercultural Journey
Engage students with the sights and sounds of Africa! Through hands-on drumming workshops, assembly programs and multimedia presentations, ThisWorldMusic brings the joy and power of African drumming and culture to schools nationwide.
Take your students on a fun, exciting intercultural journey with TWM Founder/Director and Kennedy Center Teaching Artist Jeremy Cohen, a cultural interlocutor who blends his experience as a classroom teacher, conservatory-trained musician and African adventurer to offer insight into the unique shared music and history between the U.S. and Ghana.
Workshop/residency topics include:
- Precision drum, bell and shaker technique for a round, full ensemble sound
- Recitation of “drum language” using spoken syllables that help improve language skills and develop aural memory
- Stepping and sticking exercises that use full-body kinesthetic learning to develop off-beat timing and greater comfort with polyrhythms
- Traditional Ewe songs from Ghana that help students connect with a different culture through its native language
- Integration with core curriculum that uses music, dance and multimedia presentations to help bring other curricular areas to life
For pricing and info, contact us.