ThisWorldMusic partners with colleges, universities, school districts and arts organizations to offer innovative, hands-on continuing education courses and professional development workshops on techniques for teaching African drumming. Course content and length can be tailored to fit the needs of educators working in a wide range of classroom settings — from severe special needs to 12th grade honors music — ensuring an enriching and valuable experience for all.
As a pianist, I picked up so much useful information that would be directly helpful in my own playing and teaching. I can’t wait to share what I’ve learned with my students!”
Our curriculum focuses on the drumming traditions of the Ewe (EH-vay) people of Ghana, an African nation rich in music and dance. We provide a proven framework for incorporating African drumming into a school music curriculum. As an approved vendor of the Center for Educator Development in the Fine Arts (CEDFA), we can also work with you to design a drumming curriculum that aligns with the nationally recognized Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS).
Workshop topics include:
- Precision drum, bell and shaker technique for a round, full ensemble sound
- Recitation of “drum language” using spoken syllables that help improve language skills and develop aural memory
- Stepping and sticking exercises that use full-body kinesthetic learning to develop off-beat timing and greater comfort with polyrhythms
- Traditional Ewe songs from Ghana that help students connect with a different culture through its native language
- Integration with core curriculum that leverages music & dance to help bring other curricular areas to life
And like the drumming traditions we teach, our curriculum is not only highly structured, but spirited, fascinating…and fun!
Given the depth and richness of these musical traditions, as well as the variety of techniques we have for teaching them, there is no one-size-fits-all course offering. Instead, workshops and courses can vary depending on the following:
- Desired length
- Learning objectives
- Number of units/credits participants will earn
Whether you are interested in a 2-hour workshop for your school district, a weeklong residency for your arts organization, or a summer-long course for your college or university, ThisWorldMusic can design a thoughtful and engaging course package to meet all your needs.
Who We Serve
- 6th, 7th, and 8th grade teachers looking for a way to spice up their general music classes
- 9th-12th grade teachers wanting to design a new general music elective
- K-5th grade teachers with an eye to a more multicultural curriculum
- Or any music educator looking for a fun and interesting way to grow professionally
For more info, contact us.